Apples in sandwiches, pancakes, pies, and salads! Apples are always the star and for the right reasons. Apples go well with many flavors – sweet and tasteful. Apples and potatoes make a yummy breakfast hash.
What Are Hash Browns?
A famous American breakfast, hash browns are made of shredded potatoes fried in oil or butter. Hashed browns are typical in diners because they are known as home fries.
Sweet Potato Apple Hash is a nutritious breakfast because of the sweet potato and apple’s complex carbs and fiber content.
It can be pretty difficult to think of what to serve for breakfast. Eggs are a staple for breakfast. However, a healthy breakfast is not just all about eggs.
Sweet Potato Apple Hash is excellent for breakfast. It is a sumptuous brunch dish, too, or even a quick weeknight dinner.
Best Sweet Potatoes for Hash Brown
The supermarket is loaded with different kinds of potatoes. It can be challenging to choose the best sweet potatoes for your hash browns. It can help you choose the best sweet potatoes if you understand a little bit about them.
Sweet potatoes are sweet-tasting and starchy root vegetables with thin brown outside skin. They have a colored flesh (mostly orange) inside. Some varieties of sweet potatoes have white, yellow, or purple inside flesh. Sweet potatoes can be eaten peeled or whole.
Sweet potatoes are high in fiber and are loaded with a wide range of vitamins (Vitamin B and Vitamin C) and minerals (iron, selenium, and calcium). Sweet potatoes are also high in beta-carotene, an antioxidant, and converted to Vitamin A when eaten.
In general, sweet potatoes are an ideal addition to your balanced diet when you want to keep fit.
How to Make Hash Browns?
A sweet potato hash brown is crunchy and crisp. They are perfect not only for breakfast but for brunch, as well. Sweet potato hash browns are more flavorful and lighter than regular potato hash browns
- 2 sweet potatoes (medium, peeled and shredded)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 ¼ cup white onions (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil for frying
Wash and peel the sweet potatoes.
With a box grater or food processor, shred the sweet potatoes.
Soak the potatoes in a bowl of cold water
Drain the sweet potatoes.
Place the sweet potatoes in a calendar.
Rinse and squeeze sweet potato in clean water.
Transfer potatoes to a medium bowl
Add the garlic, onions, flour, and olive to the sweet potatoes. Mix well.
Place two table spoons of olive oil in a skillet
Allow heating at medium-high
Measure ¼ cup of the sweet potato mixture.
Transfer the mixture into the pan.
Flatten the mixture with a spatula.
Cook for 3 minutes or until crispy and medium brown to golden.
Flip the hash brown and cook the reverse side for another 2 minutes or until crispy and medium brown to golden.
Remove hash brown from the skillet and transfer to a plate lined with a paper towel.
Best Sweet Potato Apple Hash
Give your sweet potato hash brown by adding in some apples.
- 1 piece Sweet potato (large, peeled and cut into½ inch cubes)
- 1 piece Apple (peeled, cored, and diced)
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Olive oil
Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat.
Pour olive oil enough to coat the bottom on the skillet.
Let the oil warm for about 2 minutes or until it sizzles a bit.
Add in the sweet potatoes.
Allow the oil to coat the sweet potatoes.
Allow the sweet potatoes to cook for about 5 minutes.
Flip the sweet potatoes to the reverse.
Add in the onions and diced apple.
Allow to cook for about 5minutes or until onions and diced apple is golden brown.
Season with salt and pepper.
Remove each brown from the skillet and transfer to a plate lined with a paper towel.
The Right Way to Prepare Sweet Potatoes for Hash Brown
Preparing sweet potatoes, the right way will ensure you have a perfect Sweet potato, Apple Hash.
- Thinly peel the sweet potatoes. The skin of the sweet potato is also edible. In some recipes, they do not have to be peeled. However, it is better for a hash brown sweet potato to peel the sweet potato to come up with a perfect patty.
- You can shred the sweet potatoes with your hand, grate it with a cheese grater, or shred into shoestring pieces with a food processor.
- Soak the sweet potatoes and gently squeeze them to allow the release of some of its starch content. Rinse the sweet potatoes thoroughly before cooking.
- Make sure to dry the sweet potato well before cooking. This is a crucial step to ensure crisp and not mushy hash browns. Squeeze the sweet potato in a dry towel to release as much of its water content.
- Add more oil or butter as you cook the hash brown as needed. Add more oil or butter when the potatoes do not sizzle.
- Avoid flipping the sweet potato patty until they are cooked. Wait for the underside to be golden brown before flipping to cook the reverse side.
- If you want to have a vegan sweet potato apple hash, replace olive oil with coconut oil.
- Use a skillet large enough to hold all your ingredients in an even layer.
Sweet potato apple hash is an easy to prepare hash brown breakfast, brunch, or weekday dinner. Choose the right ingredients, prepare, and cook it well to have a crunchy and tasteful sweet potato apple hash.
Storing, Reheating, and using Leftovers
You can cook sweet potato apple hash in bulk because it can be stored and reheated.
You can store sweet potato apple hash in an airtight container and keep them refrigerated for up to 3 – 4 days. You can also place your hash browns in a baking sheet (single layer) and freeze until they are solid, after which you can place them in an airtight container (freezer-safe) and freeze them for up to 3 months.
You can reheat refrigerated or frozen sweet potato hash browns in a skillet with oil or butter. You can also reheat then at 3500F in the oven or for a few seconds in the microwave.
You can add arugula, roasted vegetables, and a creamy dressing to your leftover sweet potato apple hash and transform them into a healthy green salad.
If you are in no mood to do any additional food prep, simply reheat the leftover sweet potato apple hash and consume them any time of the day.
A sweet potato apple hash is a perfect dish when you need to prepare something different and healthy for breakfast. It can also be a quick and filling brunch or dinner.
You can pair sweet potato apple hash with eggs or leftover chicken or eat it with some spinach or green salad. This easy and quick-to-prepare sweet potato apple hash is a perfect stand-alone or side dish you can eat any time of the day. Sweet potato apple hash is also a great pair to your cup of coffee when you want to enjoy a lazy weekend morning. There are many things to love about the sweet potato apple hash. This crispy hash brown is a sumptuous and healthy dish.