What is Crohn’s disease (CD)?
It is one of 2 inflammatory bowel diseases.
The other 1 is known as chronic ulcerative colitis (CUC).
The tissues involved:
Crohn’s Disease can occur anywhere from the mouth to the anus but occurs mainly in the terminal ileum & ascending colon.
However, it can only involve the following areas:
- stomach & duodenum – gastroduodenal CD
- Jejenum & ileum – jejunoileitis
- Colon only – Crohns colitis
- Ileum only – ileitis
Symptoms of CD:
The most common symptoms are:
- acute abdominal pain
Diet to be used when there is no inflammation:
A high soluble fibre diet is recommended.
Foods high in soluble fibre are:
- Oats & oat bran
- Foods containing bran such as:
- brown bread, all bran flakes & whole wheat flours.
- Eat legumes without skins & pips such as:
- split peas, split lentils & soya.
- Eat fruit without skins, pips & seeds.
Diet to be used during inflammation:
Avoid the following foods:
- Peas, brinjals, berries or figs as the skins are very difficult to remove.
- Raw dried fruit.
- All seeds including sunflower and sesame seeds.
- Nuts & crunchy peanut butter or any food with nuts in it.
- Legumes with husks such as baked beans, dried beans, dried peas & lentils.
- Green mealies, samp, sweetcorn & bean sprouts.
- Coconut (especially in cakes & biscuits).
- Crushed wheat & whole wheat kernels.
- Highly spiced foods & food with pepper.
- Limit caffeine, alcohol & sorbitol (a type of sweetener).
- Limit gas-producing foods such as broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, brussels sprouts,
- onions & chives, peppers & carbonated drinks (coke, sprite).
Other general guidelines include:
- Drink lots of fluid (8 glasses / 2 litres per day) to keep body hydrated & prevent constipation.
- Avoid lactose-containing foods such as dairy if you have lactose intolerance.
- Follow a low fat diet as meals high in fat may cause discomfort.
- Avoid smoked foods as they may irritate the stomach (the intestines).
- Eat small frequent meals during the day i.e 3 small meals plus 3 small snacks.
- Avoid very hot or very cold foods.
We receive commissions when you click our links and make purchases. However, this does not impact our reviews and comparisons. We try our best to keep things fair and balanced, in order to help you make the best choice for you.
We’ll see you around – live your best Life Today!