When it comes to weight loss, you might be surprised to learn that cucumber is a highly beneficial vegetable, which will surely come in handy if you want to lose weight.
If you have not included this healthy vegetable in your diet, there are several reasons why it is time to add it to help you lose weight and stay healthy at the same time.
In recent years, infused water functions by detoxifying the body from various toxins and chemicals. One of the highly recommended infused waters that I will share is no other than cucumber water. It is a great choice that flushes out all undesirable elements in your body and helps cut down excess fat.
Cucumber is a refreshing vegetable that is readily available all-year-round and offers a variety of health benefits. If you have not yet included this healthy vegetable in your diet, I will share below the reasons to add it today to help you lose weight and keep your body in good shape.
An introduction to Cucumbers
Cucumbers are somewhat popular all over the world. Most are familiar with its crisp crunch and mild, revitalizing flavor.
Cucumbers are known by their scientific name Cucumis sativus and member of the gourd family. The vegetable has roots in different parts of Southeast Asia but is currently cultivated around the world.
The vegetable mainly comprises of water, but a ½ cup serving can provide around 11% of the daily recommendation for vitamin K.
Cucumbers are also packed with several distinct plant compounds – cucurbitacins and cucumegastigmanes. These boast potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
Cucumbers are also low in carbs, calories, and fat. This makes the vegetable the ideal option for almost any type of diet. Additionally, they impart a satiating and refreshing texture to various dishes.
Can cucumber water promote weight loss?
Let us now take a closer look at some of the reasons that make cucumber water the ideal choice to help you healthily lose weight. Remember, though, that it should be accompanied by regular exercise and a healthy diet.
- Based on a book, “Healing Foods,” cucumber includes erepsin. This is a digestive enzyme that aids with the breaking down of protein. It also has anti-parasitic properties and helps clean the intestines to keep your gut healthy.
- When it comes to fiber, cucumber is packed with it and can keep you sated for more extended periods, thus preventing you from inconvenient cravings and overeating. This is a significant benefit that will help cut down fat in your body.
- Cucumber is a low-calorie vegetable. The vegetable mainly comprises of water, which automatically makes it a low-calorie vegetable that you can eat any time. In case you feel hungry, I suggest taking a break and grab cucumber water as a refreshing treat.
- Cucumber water can also boost your metabolism that can help with the proper management of your weight.
Other benefits of Cucumber Water
Aside from the weight loss that cucumber water provides, it also offers other benefits that you should be aware of.
- Keeps you hydrated. Your body will not function correctly without the proper intake of water. It is essential to drink 6-8 glasses of water a day. If you find plain water boring, I suggest preparing cucumber water for an extra flavor that will encourage you to drink more.
- Antioxidants. Cucumbers are packed with antioxidants. Take note that antioxidants help in preventing and delaying cell damage from oxidative stress due to free radicals. Based on studies, antioxidants can reverse or stop this damage.
- Prevents cancer. Based on previous studies, cucumbers contain compounds known as “cucurbitacins” along with a group of nutrients called “lignans” that play a role in protecting us from cancer. In one study, the dietary flavonoid fisetin present in cucumbers can slow the progression of prostate cancer.
- Lowers the blood pressure. A contributing factor to high blood pressure is excess sodium and low potassium in your diet. The excess sodium results in water retention, which increases blood pressure. As a good source of potassium, cucumbers can help regulate the sodium retained by the kidneys. Regular cucumber water intake provides your body with more potassium, resulting in a lower blood pressure level.
- Healthy skin. Cucumber water can soothe your skin from inside out. Keeping your body hydrated will flush out toxins and keeps your skin healthy. The vegetable is rich in pantothenic acid or vitamin B5, which has been used to manage acne.
- Boosting bone health. When it comes to vitamin K, cucumbers are a good source. Take note that a cup of sliced cucumbers boasts around 19% of the recommended daily value.
The body needs vitamin K to produce proteins necessary for keeping the bones and tissues healthy and promoting proper blood clotting. With this in mind, I suggest making cucumber water as your regular beverage.
How to prepare Cucumber Water for Weight Loss?
Now that you are familiar with cucumber water’s benefits on weight loss, I will share below the steps on how to prepare one at home.
- Slice a thoroughly cleaned, peeled cucumber (you can also use one with the peel on)
- Mix the cucumber slices and allow them to soak in the water. This will allow it to absorb all the useful elements of the vegetable.
- You can add ice to keep the cucumber slices submerged in the water or look for a fruit/vegetable infuser that will keep it intact.
- You can now enjoy your cucumber water. Sip on the beverage throughout the day. Ensure that you have a couple of glasses first thing in the morning to get the best results.
- Eat the cucumber slices or discard the batch after 24 hours.
- One option is to add lemon juice, coriander, or ginger to your cucumber water to make it even more effective.
The combination of cucumber and lemon can also provide you with antioxidants vital for the effective functioning of the body.
Take note that lemon boosts digestion and provides alkalizing and detoxifying properties. The combination works as a natural diuretic and can lessen swelling, inflammation, and water retention. Remember that good digestion is associated with healthy weight loss.
There you have it – the benefits of cucumber water and how to prepare one at home. It is a great option that will help cut down excess fat and keep you healthy at the same time. Ensure that you eat a well-balanced diet and stick with a regular exercise routine to lose weight effectively in a healthy way.